In today’s creative economy, it can be very tempting to take the leap and become a freelancer straight out of school.
While there can be some merit in taking that leap, today’s guest still believes that learning the ropes first by working as a junior designer and freelancing on the side will strengthen the bid to build your own company later on.
With over 30 years of experience in the industry, Von Glitschka, Creative Director and Founder of Glitschka Studios, knows what he’s talking about. His branding illustrations, marketing strategies, and diverse range of creative work have been utilized by SMB’s and global brands alike and have gained significant attention in marketing industry circles.
Von and I discuss:
- His experience with illustration in art school and leveraging it for design purposes
- His career trajectory; beginning as a screen printer to starting his own business and growing his own clientele
- His baptism of fire of being wrongfully accused of accepting a job elsewhere and being fired as a result and how that got him thinking about starting his own business
- Working through design agencies vs. an illustrator rep to find clients
- His experience investing in a page in illustration source books and his advice for illustrators trying to find work
- The trend changes and industry shifts that shaped the way he went out to promote his own work and get new clients in different stages of his career
- How he got into offering video courses on LinkedIn Learning
- Where he gets the most leads for his business
- His advice for new illustrators about freelancing, learning from an art director and gathering experience before going solo.
- His experience of taking a Small Business Management course at the local community college and how he gained a valuable business mentor
- How he stays inspired by reading and constantly feeding his curiosity
- His Rapid Fire 10 Round answers include what he would tell his 20-year old self and his mantra rooted in The Golden Rule
Mentioned in this episode:
Von Glitschka’s published works: https://www.glitschkastudios.com/vbt
Glitschka Studios: https://www.glitschkastudios.com/about
To connect with Von, head on over to his channels:
Thanks for listening! If you enjoyed this episode of the podcast, head on over to the following links for more of my work and some valuable resources to get you started on your own branding initiatives. Until the next episode!
VISIT MY WEBSITE:
JOIN THE BRAND•MUSE NEWSLETTER:
JOIN THE BRAND DESIGN MASTERS FACEBOOK GROUP:
SUBSCRIBE TO MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL:
FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER:
FOLLOW ME ON PINTEREST:
LIKE MY AGENCY ON FACEBOOK:
Bring Your Own Laptop - Adobe Training with Daniel Scott
Discount Code: “PHILIP50”
The Brand Design Masters Podcast is targeted to entrepreneurs, designers, creative professionals, and anyone interested in brand strategy, business planning, graphic design, personal branding, trends and marketing.
Philip VanDusen is the owner of Verhaal Brand Design, a brand strategy and design agency based in New Jersey. Philip is a highly accomplished creative executive and expert in brand strategy, graphic design, marketing and creative management. Philip provides design, branding, marketing, career and business advice to creative professionals, entrepreneurs and companies on how to build successful brands for themselves and for the clients and customers they serve.