In this episode, I dive into the world of radio and podcasting with one of the leading experts in audio — James Mulvany. James is the Founder of Radio.co, Podcast.co, and MatchMaker.fm.
Radio.co and Podcast.co offer full-service management tools for broadcasters and podcasters. Radio.co provides easy to use cloud-based packages while Podcast.co includes a hosting platform and agency arm that supports end to end production services. It currently has studios in Manchester and London in the UK and New York City in the United States.
MatchMaker.fm is his most recent brainchild that is set up like Tinder for podcasts; connecting podcasters to potential guests and eventually brands that they can partner with.
We talk about:
- The difference between radio station management and podcasting
- His views on radio VS podcast and why he thinks radio is still around and as popular as ever
- The rise of internet radio and the kinds of brands that utilize it
- Why he thinks it’s still a great time to go into podcasting
- Discoverability as one of the biggest challenges that still plagues podcasters
- His advice on podcast dos and dont’s as well as how to engage listeners to make sure the podcast actually gives them value
- How to monetize a podcast
- Podcast differentiation best practices like segmentation that will help your show stand out
- The difference between podcasting for brands and podcasting for personal brands
- His career progression and the evolution of his three companies
- His decision to branch out to YouTube to grow his personal brand and how he balances this with his three other businesses
- How he segments his content that caters to different customer avatars on varying media types like video and audio
- His “Working Lunch” streams on LinkedIn Live
- How a partnership deal with AOL very early on in his career opened many doors in for his business and how it also became a defining wake up call when the partnership ended abruptly
- How he continues to grow and what he does to stay inspired
- How he nailed getting his Radio.co and Podcast.co URLs, how much they cost, and why he thinks it’s important to invest in making your brand memorable
- The “Three Sassy Commandments” he lives by
Mentioned in this episode:
My Brand Muse newsletter: http://www.philipvandusen.com/muse
James’ “Working Lunch” LinkedIn Live series: https://www.linkedin.com/in/jamesmulvany/
To connect with James, head on over to his channels:
Thanks for listening! If you enjoyed this episode of the podcast, head on over to the following links for more of my work and some valuable resources to get you started on your own branding initiatives. Until the next episode!
VISIT MY WEBSITE:
JOIN THE BRAND•MUSE NEWSLETTER:
JOIN THE BRAND DESIGN MASTERS FACEBOOK GROUP:
SUBSCRIBE TO MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL:
FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER:
FOLLOW ME ON PINTEREST:
LIKE MY AGENCY ON FACEBOOK:
Bring Your Own Laptop - Adobe Training with Daniel Scott
Discount Code: “PHILIP50”
The Brand Design Masters Podcast is targeted to entrepreneurs, designers, creative professionals and anyone interested in brand strategy, business planning, graphic design, personal branding, trends and marketing.
Philip VanDusen is the owner of Verhaal Brand Design, a brand strategy and design agency based in New Jersey. Philip is a highly accomplished creative executive and expert in brand strategy, graphic design, marketing and creative management. Philip provides design, branding, marketing, career and business advice to creative professionals, entrepreneurs and companies on how to build successful brands for themselves and for the clients and customers they serve.